Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I remember


August 23, 2011

As I sit on my front deck overlooking Mona Lake as the water glistens like a bowl full of diamonds, I wonder when my parents grew old.  I still picture them both in our living room practicing disco dancing.  My mom with her afro and my dad wearing his shirt open to his navel exposing the gold medallions hanging around his neck.  Gross, but hey, those were the days.  And I suppose since they were in their thirties, it wasn’t so gross for that crowd.  I travel on to when my girls were born and they would snatch them away from us claiming we needed time to ourselves but I know now they wanted to time to be grandparents.  Spoil them rotten and send them home was definitely the motto.  I resented it then but remember it fondly.  The years fly by and still they are the same.  A little grayer, a little slower, but still they look as I have always pictured them. 

Actions, however, are different.  Somehow the years and life experiences have softened them.  Not as short or gruff but more loving and patient.  Things I hope to be.  I remember my mom saying to be just a few months ago, when I believe all of this started, “I feel old.”  I think it was the fact that she had to slow down.  Couldn’t do what she used to without feeling some twinges of pain.  I am not ready to picture them that way….

But, on to the tasks at hand.  Our next appointment is with Dr. Zakem on Friday, August 26.  We will go over the results of the 24 hour urine, the bone marrow biopsy, blood work, and set up our chemo treatments.  Our chemo treatments….hah!  Like this is all about “us”.  I guess I say us, including all who read this, because it affects us all.  Not in the same ways, but we are all involved in this process.  Prayers, good deeds, cards, thoughts, and visits are all a part of helping mom and dad through this challenge.  I know that God is all sustaining and by calling upon Him we can get through anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment