Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week one


Well, so far so good.  As good as can be expected that is.  Mom had the chemo on Wednesday, January 11.  It was the mega dose that is supposed to kill anything in its path.  A day of rest on Thursday and then she had her own stem cells transplanted back into her body on Friday.  This was to be about a 20 minute process that could cause vomiting and nausea.    With many prayers, she only had a little bout of nausea but any other side effects were minimal.  If she said she had pain or nausea, the staff there was right on the spot with anything she needed.  Dad has been by her side the whole time and they have been trying to rest as much as possible.

Because they are always checking on her, she doesn’t get long periods of rest, but she does get rest.  Sunday has been the worst day so far with more of the nausea.  She doesn’t seem to have much of an appetite and I know she tries to eat when she can, but I am sure she is losing weight.

The one thing I can say about mom through all of this is that she is not much of a complainer.  I know that unless I actually visit her, I cannot know how she is really doing.  I am not sure if she is trying to spare me the gory details (usually she doesn’t have any trouble sharing any info) or if she just doesn’t see it.  I know that she has said that her hair is still intact and despite the nausea, mild headaches and tiredness, it isn’t bad so far.  I believe sometime this week she will be getting the shots again to stimulate her stem cell growth and because they caused her pain the last time, they will cause her pain this time as well.

Thank you for continued prayers and well wishes.  Please note that while she does have her computer with her, she does not have access to the internet. I believe they want to charge her have this service and you have to sign up for a year?  Seems like a scam to me, but maybe my technically challenged folks didn’t understand the process.

Much love…….

No comments:

Post a Comment